Home > Church & Community Meetings

Church & Community Meeting October 2016

MINUTES OF CHURCH AND COMMUNITY MEETING 5th October 2016

 

Welcome and Opening prayer by Brian

 

1. Apologies: from Tony Gilbert, Joan and Edwin Godel. Twenty attending

 

2. Minutes of last meeting.. passed as correct

 

3. Matters Arising

 

a) Concert "Seraphim" Sat Oct 29th

Frank is in contact with the group and all is arranged as planned. They will be performing

in the Town Church on Friday night and Saturday at St. Mary's, with light supper. Tickets

on sale at f 10 from church and Parish hall. They will be giving a radio interview on Thurs

28th to promote the performances. Juliette mentioned there is a firework display at Tamba

Park that same evening so traffic to SL Mary's may be delayed. Posters are being

displayed in the community centre, bus stop, Methodist Church etc. Sue Bagley to let

her choirs know about the event.

 

4. Review of past events

a) Toddler Party July 21"t

Alice said there were 60+ attending and water slide and bouncy castle were popular.

Thank you to the ladies who helped or provided food.

b) Confirmations July 21st at St. Brelade’s

Zena Gavey, Nicky Atkey-Smith and Jude Chapman from St. Mary's were confirmed by

Bishop Trevor Willmott.. A delightful service.

 

c) St. Mary's Patronal Festival Aug 14th

Went without comment! Presume OK

 

d) Rector’s holiday cover

i) Martin Dryden. Popular . Good preacher and singer. (Not always available)

Some confusion on the Thursday as no one came.

ii) Chris Buckley. No adverse comments

 

A suggestion was made that when Brian is away the Thursday Communion could be

cancelled. This was agreed upon.

 

e) Harvest Festival Oct 2nd

Thank you to allwho ananged flowers etc to decorate the church. Dried goods, tins and

fresh produce was collected by Grace Trust on the Monday and they said the! were very

grateful for the food for their food bank.

 

f) Barbeque Sept 4th

This proved to be a successful event, enjoyed by all. The quantities of food will be

reviewed next time by the church officers.

5) Upcoming Events

 

a) Bible Sunday Oct 9s

Andy Bissex is coming to give a talk about the Bible Society. He will have a display in

church, and give a presentation. Cash collection to go to the Bible Society this week.

 

b)Seraphim Sat Oct 29th

Covered in matters arising

 

c) Rector’s Retreat 21st  - 25th Oct

 

Brian (and Barbara ) are going to St. Jacut with the Jersey Retreat Association. Cover

for that Sunday will be Rev Pauline Wilcox. Vivienne reminded Brian he could apply for a

grant to help towards payment of the Retreat from JCSS.

 

d) All Souls Service 6th Nov @ 6pm

A list will be put in church to add names (Barbara will do this) Brian will invite families of

the deceased to attend if they wish to.

e) Remembrance Day Sun 13th Nov meet @ 10.50am at Memorial

Brian will invite the Scouts, School, Horses and bugler if possible. Extra wreathes may

be displayed.

Juliette his arranged a Cake Sale on Friday 11th Nov from 9am in the Parish Hall to

raise funds for the British Legion Poppy Appeal.

 

f) Nine Lessons and Carols Sun 18th Dec @ 6pm

Later time agreed upon (6pm) The choir will be singing. Usual format for the service.

 

6)AOB

 

a) Christingle Sun 4th Dec

Gillian will organise oranges as usual. Volunteers to help on the Saturday morning.

( Wreath Making Sat 3'o Dec will take place in the Community Centre)

Christmas Fair Sat 1Oth Dec

b) Gift Day Total raised will amount to over £11,000 after tax collection

c) Easyfundraising is still bringing in some cash..gradually adding up.

d) New Hymn Books

Monica brought up the subject of new hymn books and suggested we do not buy any .

Sue Bagley suggested we should review it at a later date.

e) Church Growth

A discussion occurred about how we could help the church to grow. Jackie and Russel

have been visiting other churches to see what their worship is like, what is successful.

It was suggested that the first Sunday of the month could be a livelier service to

encourage younger people to come.

Brian suggested an alternative Service on Saturdays at 4pm. This could be BCP or

Celtic worship. It was suggested that Brian could have a "drop -in" at the pub to meet

people.

 

Date of next meeting Wed 30th Nov @ 8pm Bam Loft

 


Church & Community Meetings
Webpage icon Church & Community Meeting July 2016
Webpage icon Church & Community Meeting May 2016
Webpage icon Church & Community Meetings Feb 2016 Page 2
Webpage icon Church & Community Meetings Feb 2016 Page 1
Printer Printable Version